Tuesday, March 27, 2012

A True Hero

He-ro noun
1. A person, typically a man, who is admired for courageous or noble qualities.
2. Dean Lyon, see picture below

Dean in Afghanistan: 2008
I have already dedicated a full post to my older brother, Dean. I've written a lot about him, and after reading my last post it was hard thinking what more to add. I focused before a lot on our relationship as brothers, and spent less time on just him. I'm not going to tell the whole story, because my sister-in-law has already told it. I think she can do a MUCH better job at this than I can, but I'm going to give it a shot. I'll just say, unfortunately, my brother is being deployed to Afghanistan--AGAIN. Leaving... soon.

I haven't seen my older brother since 2009. I won't see him again until 2013. I really don't think that's fair. Nevermind that, though, the fact remains that despite the hardships he and his family go through they are AMAZING. Seriously. He, his wife, and their 5 children. Each of them is their own hero in one way or another. Sometimes thinking about everything they go through I feel bad for whining and complaining about MY hardships.

I sit here and feel frustrated, because people aren't translating what I need on time, or writing a proposal, or teaching in a positive way, or because that smelly/drunk guy keeps talking to me on the marshutka, or because it's too cold in my room. You know what I remind myself in those times? My brother does everything that I do multiplied by 100, while other people are shooting at him, while missing his wife and children. Also, I get to take pictures of myself in a luxury hotel in a developing and now peaceful country. We really have it going pretty well in Georgia. It's a good country to be in. Plus, nobody is actively trying to kill me. My brother doesn't complain, and he does his duty, because that's the type of man he is.

And do you know what?

He may not like doing everything that's expected from him, but he does it, and he does it well. I've never met a more dedicated and loyal person in my life. Dean's accomplishments, which he doesn't publicize, because he doesn't need the advertisement, and he's just a humble person. Don't take humbleness for weakness, though. Dean is an Army RANGER. I know, because I was there. Oh, and Dean may not want to brag, but I'm more than happy to brag in his place. Now, when I say "My brother could beat you up!" I REALLY MEAN IT.

Rangers jumping out of helicopters.

Lyon men at Dean's Ranger graduation. By night we save the world in Call of Duty.
Then of course you have the other side of Dean. See on one side he's the fierce Army Ranger who can turn normal objects into weapons, and then, well, you have the Dean below who makes a good horse. A great family man, who even after long and stressful days at work can come home to be with his family.

Dean and bug.
Joining the Army is a courageous thing for anybody to do. People who join each have their own reasons to do so. Dean has never sought glory, he never needed to prove anything (to himself or other people), and he certainly had/has other options (did I mention he went to Cornell and was SUPPOSED to go to grad school?). Dean is selfless and believes in serving and helping others. He doesn't like war, but his family and country come first. In his selflessness he decided to enter a career with a lot of hardships, because he cares about all of us.

All soldiers should be honored and treated with respect, but in my opinion Dean is an actual hero. He's the best-of-the-best. He's not just a soldier-hero, he is a HERO. He didn't ask to be, he didn't want to be, but he is. He is his wife's hero. He is his children's hero. He is my hero. Whether you like it or not, whether you realize it or not, he is YOUR hero too. So, if you get a chance between buying the iPad 3 and waiting for the iPhone 5 to come out, keep in mind that Dean doesn't fight for you to have the iPad, he fights so you, and your children, have a future. I certainly won't forget it in nine-months he will be gone for.


Good luck, Dean. We all love you.


P.S. Playing Call of Duty when I was home was awesome!

4 comments:

  1. Nice post, Tom. Definitely puts our "tough conditions" here in perspective.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post Tom. I have to admit I am scared of Cat calling Dean to tell him when I'm not being nice because he would probably jump on the next flight to beat me up.

    We can all look to Dean as an example of what it means to be a man, a husband, and a father.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is one of my favorite blog posts OF ALL TIME. It's safe to say that Dean a hero to all of us, but especially to those those of us who have looked up to him our whole lives. We love you Dean!

    PS - BOTH of my brothers ROCK.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Damn, that's a pretty hard core bro you've got. But you've got one mistake on your part, that no one's trying to "actively kill you." What do you think they're doing at supras?

    ReplyDelete