Saturday, July 7, 2012

The End (Part 2)


Well, I’m back home in the USA. More than two years after going to Philadelphia, and signing the form that solidified my two-year commitment in Peace Corps, I am back in New Jersey. It’s a little weird being back. I’m still applying for teaching jobs, and I guess we’ll see what comes out of that. I’m split over everything. On one hand, I’m happy to be home, to see my family and friends. On the other hand, I miss my life in Keda, too. Sure, I was pretty bored sometimes, but to be honest, I felt like every day was a mini-adventure. The biggest adventure I had today was driving to the Verizon store to decide on a new phone plan.

I keep being asked by well-intentioned, but completely oblivious people, “Well, what was it like over there?” I actually find myself not even saying much of anything unless there is a topic that reminds me of Georgia. But asking me “What’s it like?” Ehh… Do you have five-hours to explain to you the hours I spent in a sleeping bag to stay warm in winter? How about trying to teach English in a local public school? No, I didn’t learn Russian. Yes, Georgian is an actual language.

I can blame anyone. Just because I left for two years doesn’t mean everyone else was just sitting around waiting for me to return. People went out into the world, got jobs, got engaged/married, had kids, and had more kids. A group of us in Peace Corps would count down our service by calculating gestation periods. A somewhat strange, but nonetheless unique way of counting down 27-months. But, to most people if I said that in a conversation, I’d get a stare and a head turn like, “What are you talking about?” That’s the main issue; people just don’t understand.

I ran into an old friend’s father around town today and luckily he wouldn’t stop talking about his son. I was seriously wanting to say, “Alright, cool, got a job doing *****. I’ve been living in GEORGIA and you won’t even give me 5-minutes to talk about my job.” To most people when I say that I taught English I feel like they lump me into some group of 2nd rate volunteers. As if I wasn’t really doing any work. Nope, I was just teaching. Again, all of us Volunteers knew this was a common occurrence, and I was ready for it.

No big deal. I just wish I could talk about poop with more people than my 6-year old niece and 2-year old nephew.

No comments:

Post a Comment