Friday, February 24, 2012

A Conversation

The following is a conversation I had (in Georgian) with a man who approached me in the center of my town; meanwhile, he is holding a bottle of vodka:

Man: Tom, how are you?
Me: I'm fine, how are you?
Man: I am, *****'s father in the * grade.
Me: Oh, really? Nice to meet you.
Man: Why doesn't my son/daughter know English yet?
Me: Well, they don't have the books. You need to buy the book for them. We use the books in class. Student draw and color in the books. They are good books.
Man: Books? No. Books are expensive.
Me: It is 18 lari
Man: Yes, expensive. You must be a better teacher so my son/daughter will learn English.
Me: How much did that bottle of vodka cost?
Man: 15 lari.Why?
Me: Just wondering... walking away


Sigh... I should have and could have said more, but I didn't want to start an argument in the middle of the road. I decided the best thing I could do is just walk away.

2 comments:

  1. It was the best way to make your point. No sense in arguing. Too bad he was most likely too drunk to remember the conversation later.

    ReplyDelete