Thursday, February 9, 2012

The First Post of the New Year


It’s been a long time since I’ve updated my blog. Funny to think the last time I updated was last year. I have been meaning to write a blog post for a long time, and I’ve had the time to do it, but I just haven’t felt the need to update. Nonetheless, I do understand my blog isn’t the most entertaining thing to read, but I think I should let people know what I’m doing. I owe everyone, especially considering all the help I’ve received from people for my fitness club.

I should let everyone know that I got all $1800 funded through Wide Awake. So, THANK YOU! In fact, I had only planned on $1000, and the extra $800 was a real surprise and will help us achieve our goals. The town is fixing the room right now, and they stripped away all the paint and put in new electrical sockets in three new places (I was only hoping for one, but they surprised me). Now they are patching the holes and getting ready to prime and paint. I went to the sports store in Tbilisi and found almost everything we wanted to buy. I decided to trade out some pieces of equipment in order to get higher quality. For example, I don’t see many people using a bench press, and I am worried about kids being in there, therefore I probably going to try and get two treadmills, or something along those lines. Nonetheless, I’m certain that within one month we’ll have our equipment in the room. At that point it’s all about getting everything translated on the machines and then making my healthy lifestyle/fitness lessons. I’m hoping for PCV assistance and presentations in that phase. Still, I’m very excited.

I’ve also been going to school here a lot more since university is on break. It actually got me thinking about how much I miss teaching kids instead of adults. I love being in the classroom, and although I don’t normally enjoy teaching English (I prefer History), I really like planning lessons that let me students hit the “Ohhhhh” moment. That “Ohhhh” moment is rarely reached in History class (it’s not that kind of learning), and it’s nice to be there. Unfortunately, my first day back a student asks my counterpart “With Tom here again, are we going to play games again?” I don’t think that comment made me counterpart very happy, and it doesn’t make me happy either. I don’t want students or teachers thinking that’s what I’m about, because I’m not.

Anyway, the winter is upon us. This winter is definitely worse than last year. There is more snow and it’s considerably colder. I mean, not as cold as it is in Ukraine or Czech Republic, but still cold. Last week I was at a conference in a town near Tbilisi. I was asked to lead a session on teaching multi-level classrooms to G-11s and their counterparts. I was there for a few days, but on the way back our bus kept getting stuck and we got into Tbilisi much later than we were supposed to. Back to the conference, I was happy with my session, and many counterparts and Volunteers came to tell me that they enjoyed it. Better yet several counterparts told me they were going to use some of my ideas in class. That’s something every instructor likes to hear.

I am somewhat surprised that my last post seemed to make people think I wasn’t returning to Georgia. A bunch of people who read my post from when I was in the USA thought I wasn’t coming back. I’m sorry that it created any frustration, but I hadn’t seen my home in 18 months and I was just happy to be home. So kill me. Firstly, I’m doing some great things here, and I’m actually hitting my groove as a Volunteer, and I’d be stupid to leave. I would be especially stupid if I decided to leave, especially with only 5-6 months left in my service. It’ll be an exciting, fun, and busy rest of winter and spring.

I’m also aware that a large number of G12s have received their invitations to serve in Georgia. I’m hoping that while they look through posts from me and other Volunteers that they understand there are good and bad times to be had in Georgia—just as in the USA. Also know that when you receive your invitations we are in the middle of winter, and few of us can always be positive. It’s not that Georgia is a bad post; of course there are good things and bad. I generally keep my frustrations to a minimum on my blog and focus them more in my personal journal. One of my friends suggested I write entries when I’m upset, but only post them after I leave Peace Corps. That way I would be able to write something and post everything when I’m no longer a Volunteer. Then people can read the positive and negative posts together and get a more accurate view of my experience in Georgia. I think instead I’ll write a few posts at the end of service and describe my negative and positive experiences together. I guess we’ll see when the time comes.

I’m looking over everything I’ve written now (not editing, because even with grammar mistakes, I want to keep my writing honest and without rethinking anything) and I think this is prime time to end my entry. I’ve also heard some funny comments that I end my posts abruptly Therefore, here it goes.

THE END! 

No comments:

Post a Comment