Friday, February 17, 2012

My Packing Mistakes


I was going to make a Part II to my last entry, but I think I’ll write something a little different. A G12 wrote on my last entry and was interested in some advice about what I would have liked to bring with me and things I wish I hadn’t brought. It’s impossible to answer the question for somebody else. Some people just need things that other people don’t need. With that said, there are certain things I brought with me that I consistently have not needed, and I know I won’t need (and have likely already brought home).

My Peace Corps timeline was VERY short. Most people have to wait at least 6-months, some one-year, but I think the average—from the interview date to invitation—is about 8-months. From my interview date to invitation was almost exactly 2 months (application to staging was 4 months). I really didn’t have a lot of time to think about what I needed and plan for it. I basically just got whatever I THOUGHT I might need. I didn’t know what to expect, and I didn’t have a lot of time to think and rethink my packing situation. I don’t even quite remember everything I brought, but some of it WAS ridiculous. Here we go…

1. More than 3 pairs of nice pants.
It’s not that you don’t need nice pants from time to time, but you learn to wear the same pair of pants for several weeks before washing it. There are some pants I brought that I STILL haven’t worn yet, and most of those I brought back to the States, because I know I’ll wear them as a teacher next year.

2. More than 3 button-down shirts.
Along with number 1 I realized that I had certain shirts that I’d go to natural, and they aren’t all black or gray. The truth is, I always look like a foreigner, so having a blue shirt on isn’t going to make me stick out as much as my blue eyes and blond hair. As one PCV put it so eloquently once: “Tom, what are you going to do when you go back to the States and you aren’t special anymore?”

3. Batteries
Bring a few if you want, but batteries are HEAVY, and you can definitely find them all over the country. I brought a Ziploc bag full of AA and AAA batteries. I still haven’t used all the batteries, but overall it was a complete waste of space and weight.

4. Flashlights
Now one flashlight (specifically a head lamp) is an excellent idea to bring, but the phones Peace Corps give you have flashlights on them. If you are going to bring your own phone that won’t have a flashlight then bring a small one, because there are many dark areas.

5. Tons of pens/pencils
You can buy these in Georgia, or have them shipped to you. Don’t waste your valuable space on these things. I’ve turned a lot of my mechanical pencils into prizes for students.

6. Medical supplies
Will be given to you.

7. Binders and notebooks
You will get so many of these through Peace Corps meetings and conferences you will go nuts. I would bring one NICE notebook for PST. I didn’t have a good notebook (Lacey stole mine) for PST and I wrote in a tiny journal like book for the whole time that got me teased a lot. A good bind will help you organize your notes.

8. Teaching materials (except stickers)
Leave any activities or games at home until you’re sure you know that you need/want it. The exception being stickers. I brought a 1000 pack of stickers from the Dollar Store and it’s been the best dollar I’ve ever spent.

9. DVDs
I brought like 5 cases of DVDs. You really don’t WANT or NEED all that much. I brought my entire collection DVD home in the winter. If you want you can rip them to your hard drive.

10. Sports coat/Blazer
Wore it once when Hillary Clinton came. Not worth it.

11. Baseball mitt/Football/Soccer ball
You will use a football or soccer ball, but enough of those will be left here in Georgia I doubt you’d use it much anyway. It’s really only a few times in PST and during All Volunteer Conferences that you’ll end up playing. If you want it for your summer camps and stuff then maybe ask a G10 or G11 to let you borrow. I personally brought a football and a baseball mitt. I never got to play baseball and the mitt got damaged from the humidity and cold. The football I lost during FLEX training.

12. Georgian language books
You can get some money to buy language materials after PST. You’ll get a lot of good material during and after PST. In fact, if I could give a piece of advice to G12s: DON’T STUDY GEORGIAN NOW!!! I know you’re excited to come and excited about this language, but enjoy your free time now. In 2 months you will be studying for 4-hours a day 6 days a week. No matter what studying you do from now ‘til then you might only buy yourself one day of lessons. So, relax on the studying now, and save your time for enjoying the things you’ll miss.

13. Clothes
I really did not need as many clothes as I brought. Think of it this way: the more clothes you have the more laundry you’ll be doing. During PST/service you’ll be doing your own laundry (at least females will) and you want to do it quickly. Do bring enough that if you’re washing something that you have something clean to change in to.

Again, this is just my personal opinion, and you don't have to do everything I say here. Everyone is different, and you'll undoubtedly find something you wish you could bring that you left back in the States. This happens, but try to make sure your bags don't weigh you down too much, because you'll be carrying them all around the first two or three months. Feel free to leave a comment or e-mail me: talyon1986@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment