Saturday, December 24, 2011

Home


Well, here I am. For the first time in 2 years I am sitting in my family room in Plainsboro, New Jersey. It’s a weird experience, and sometimes I completely forget that I’m a Peace Corps Volunteer and everything I see and feel is just a mirage; an illusion meant to hold me over until I’m actually done. Right now the only thing that holds me on to the reality of my circumstance is the homemade Georgian wine (that he has described as “okay”) I’ve been sharing with my father. I guess it’s hard to explain, and maybe it’s just because I’m home for a little while, or maybe because it the holiday season, but being in America just feels so easy and right.

I’m not trying to say that America is #1 overall, but for me it is #1. Georgians ask a series of questions when the first meet a foreigner, and these are my typical responses:

Q: What’s your name?
A: Tom.

Q: How old are you?
A: 25.

Q: Are you married/have kids?
A: No.

Q: Why not?
A: [Random answer, and usually depends on if I want to joke around or act annoyed]

Q: Do you like Georgia/Keda?
A: Yes, I like Georgia/Keda very much, it has beautiful nature, and the air is so great.

Q: Do you like Georgians
A: Yes, they are very generous and hospitable people.

Q: Which is better America or Georgia?
A: Both are great.

There are a bunch of other questions that come before and after, but undoubtedly a foreigner will be asked which is better America or Georgia. I’ve always said both are good, and I probably always will, but to be America is my home and to me it is #1. I’ve tried to say “Hey, America is my HOME. Everything I love and care about is there.” Most people nod their head acknowledging that no matter how great a place is, home is home, and it will always be #1.

I guess all I really mean is:

IT’S GREAT TO BE HOME!

No comments:

Post a Comment