Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Another Leaving Post


I have a month left in Peace Corps. ONE MONTH. It’s a surreal experience to think about where I came from and how I ended up here. I’ve thought about everything I’ve done in the two years I’ve been here. I am thinking about the G12 group that arrived last week; they are in the beginning of pre-service training (PST). I remember my first week of PST. I didn’t completely understand the rules and went to visit other trainees in a neighboring village without notifying my coordinator. I got caught and feared for my future in Peace Corps. I honestly thought they’d kick me out then. They didn’t. I signed some form and then went back to normal. I remember being terrified, though. Ever since then I’ve followed every Peace Corps protocol about informing them of my whereabouts. I swear I’m not a trouble maker!!!

Then of course I think about the things I thought were important in my life two years ago. I think about how I didn’t have anything to really be proud of. Sure, I had a Masters in Teaching, but no job. I really didn’t do well in my undergraduate studies, and I felt my life just passing me by. The two years in Georgia gave me a lot of perspective on my life and future. I’ve thought more about caring for other people and doing things that don’t give me any direct benefit. For example, my host mother came to me today and told me that she had an argument with another person who didn’t believe I designed the fitness center. At one point in my life I’d be offended and hurt; I would have needed the external recognition to know I did a good job. Not anymore. Now, I’ve received plenty of external recognition; from Peace Corps, other Volunteers, a Peace Corps newsletter, community members, family, and the local government. But, it doesn’t mean as much as the happiness and pride I feel from within. I know I did it, and I know it’s a great project. That one community member may not know I made the fitness center happen, but she still uses it, and that’s all that really matters.

Two Volunteers, a married couple, came to Keda yesterday to conduct a fitness training. The girl is one of our groups most accomplished Volunteers. She organized Volunteers in the past to do activities across the country. Plus, she is a very physically active person, and knows her stuff. I think 13-15 women showed up, and apparently it went “swimmingly”. My host mother went and really loved it, and this morning after the Volunteers left, a guest came over and asked if she could come back today. It was great having her come, because I would not have been able to lead a fitness and healthy lifestyles training with women. They wouldn’t ask me the important questions. They wouldn’t feel comfortable with my presence.

Back to me leaving…

The relationships I’ve formed in the past year have also meant a lot to me. I’ve made a lot of great friends here. I got a call from a friend who got Fulbright in Indonesia a few weeks ago. She called at 1AM and goes, “Tom, wake up! I’m going to Indonesia! You’re the first person I’m telling after my boyfriend, because we’re best friends.” Then my other friend is going to Russia on a State Department program. I mean, we’re all going places here. We’ve all accomplished so much, and we’ve trudged through the same frustrations together. We’ve experienced the same winters, and have all been through similar marshutka experiences (I have not been thrown-up on in a marshutka yet, knock on wood).

It’s not just the other PCVs I’ve made friendships with. There are plenty of Georgians that I will continue talking with and remember forever. From my host family, my counterparts, and my personal relationships, I will remember them; as they will remember me. I have a bit of a reputation in Keda now, and most won’t forget me anytime soon. I could come back to Keda in 5-years or 10-years and walk off the marshutka and people would stare at me just the same, but they will know who I am.

I’ve been writing a lot recently about my nearing departure. What I really need to think about now is trying to find a job when I get home. If any of you reading this has an open position for a CEAS secondary education social studies teacher please contact meJ.  I’d really appreciate it. I’ll write more on that later, though.

1 comment: