Thursday, May 17, 2012

Jobs


I decided with just a few weeks remaining in Peace Corps I will update a bit more often. After I COS I’ll probably start a new blog (or not) depending on my (un)employment situation. Perhaps I could call it “The Unemployed Lyon” or “Employ the Lyon”. Eh, no matter, yet. I’ll figure out my life goal at some point. I’ll really miss my current blog title. For such a cool name I should have been a lot more active in my blog writing.

I promised I’d write a bit about my current job search for after Peace Corps. I am looking throughout the internet, and my Mom is in the USA scouring through newspapers and the internet trying to find jobs for me as a social studies teacher. That’s what I’m certified as by the amazingly awesome State of New Jersey [Shore]. The lists for teachers is considerably larger than it was the year I left for Peace Corps, or the year before that when I got my Masters. I would think that now with my awesome Peace Corps experience it’d be a lot easier trying to find jobs. I mean both my best friends know what they’re doing. Unfortunately, after turning in half-dozen online applications and even more paper applications I am still jobless. Maybe it’s the fact I’m not in the USA, and they cannot interview me? Maybe I’ve been away for too long? Maybe it’s my college transcript that has that big ol’ 2.8 written there (yeah, I didn’t study nearly hard enough).

I guess now I’m worried about what I’ll do next. If I don’t get a job then I’ll be living at home and helping my sister-in-law take care of her five children. Maybe I’ll start expanding the garden my brother made years ago. This last one is something that really interests me now. Here in Georgia I sometimes go with my host family to the village to do work—actually, they do the work and just want me to sit there. I don’t blame them too much, this is their livelihood and they wouldn’t want some idiot American destroying their crops. Still, these aren’t huge sprawling farms, but just large enough to look awesome. I wonder what my Mom and Dad would have to say to this. I mean, my Mom loves gardening, but she may not have a small farm in mind for our backyard. It would be a lonely option, because Plainsboro is not well suited for a fun social life.

Then of course I could get back and look for jobs outside the teaching profession. I could go to Washington, D.C. and maybe work for the Government. I have one-year non-competitive eligibility for federal jobs. I don’t know what that will get me, but hopefully something. I always loved Washington and would totally live there again if I could. Plus, many of my friends are still in the area, so I already have a social base.

My final idea is a bit ruined now, but I’ve thought of reinventing it differently. I had been thinking of moving to Ukraine and trying to find a job there. I don’t enjoy teaching English, but if I found a high enough paying job I’d consider it. Unfortunately, I don’t see Kyiv as an option anymore for different reasons. I have been thinking about Tbilisi, though. A G-9 works in Tbilisi now, and I think he enjoys it. Then there are different NGOs and alike that I could get into. There are opportunities here, and most positions could give me a comfortable living wage for Tbilisi. One former PCV was telling me of a 2,500 GEL/month position. I like Tbilisi a lot, and I’d be interested in MAYBE spending another 2-3 years here.

Or I could move to Rhode Island/Connecticut with my newly engaged best friend and be a bus boy at a bar.

Nonetheless, America is my first choice. Don’t leave me high and dry here Uncle Sam. I’ve served you faithfully now for two years. Time to return the favor.

1 comment:

  1. Be patient with the job front. The rule is, from application to hire, it takes about .5 - 1 month per ten thousand dollars. Mainly this is because they have to keep the application window open for a period of their choosing, and cannot legally close it before then, even if they find their perfect candidate. The bigger the pay, the typically longer window they'll keep open.

    As for government jobs, from app to hire, it takes about 2 to 6 months, depending on the agency.

    And, as I was telling you, you can always teach abroad and make a moolah more with lower cost of living!

    ReplyDelete